Monday, March 11, 2013

WW - Taco Soup

Original Recipe:

1lb ground turkey or lean beef
1 large onion chopped
1 (1oz) pk Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
1 (1oz) pack Taco Seasoning mix
1 (16oz) can pinto beans
1 (16oz) can chili beans
1 (16oz) can whole kernel corn
1 (8oz) can Mexican style tomatoes
1 (8oz) can diced tomatoes

Brown mean and onions and drain. Mix Ranch and Taco Seasoning into meat. Add remainder ingredients (un-drained) to meat mixture. Simmer for an hour. 2 Weight Watchers Points Plus per cup. You can also serve this with fat free or low fat tortilla chips. It is super yummy.

My Version:

1 lb ground beef (already cooked and frozen by with onions already in it)
1/2 onion, chopped
1 pk Ranch Dressing Mix
1/4 cup Taco Seasoning mix (I buy this in the bulk container)
1 can red beans
1 can black beans
1 can white beans
1 can corn
1 can Italian style tomatoes (not as spicy as the Mexican style)
1 can diced tomatoes

Poured everything into the crockpot and cooked it on high for 2 hours.  I didn't measure how many cups it made, and I added an extra can of beans.  My guess was about 12 cups and that gives my version 4 WW Points Plus Value.  I didn't realize that white beans were 3 more points per can than the other kinds of beans.  Something to think about.

Opinion:

Sorry, no picture this time.  My family likes Taco Soup.  It was SO EASY!!!  And, I was able to make it a couple hours before dinner when I had a few minutes....literally, a few minutes.  We like to sprinkle a little bit of cheese on it or melt a dab of cream cheese in our soup and eat with tortilla chips.  If you're watching your WW points, make sure you add points for those little extras.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. perfect timing...I'm going to make this today, this afternoon :), 'cause I'll be too busy this evening to prepare dinner. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete