Monday, July 14, 2014

Chicken & Black Bean Casserole

Tried this recipe for dinner tonight....SUCCESS!!



This is where the original recipe was found (shared with me by a friend):

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-and-Black-Bean-Casserole/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=chicken+rice+black+bean&e8=Quick+Search&event10=1&e7=Home+Page&soid=sr_results_p1i5


I didn't have cilantro so I just did without.  As an adult, it would have been a nice addition but no one noticed it missing.

I used left over chicken that was already cooked, so I just did the onions in the pan and then added them both to the casserole dish without reheating the chicken.

I drained a can of black beans and poured those in instead of cooking up dry beans.  Quick and easy.

I didn't think about adding corn to it until it was too late, so I cooked some up and we had it on the side.  I think it could easily be added frozen or from a can.

The recipe doesn't say this, but I recommend covering your casserole pan so it doesn't dry out too much.  It was on the verge of being a bit dry so you could add a little more water if you want to.  But, it didn't taste bad the way it was.

We sprinkled a bit of cheese on the top after putting it on our plates, it melted right away because it was still hot when we served it up.  Then we ate this either on corn tortillas or with tortilla chips.

Husband wasn't home but I know he would like it.  I put some in the freezer for him to eat on another day.
I liked it and plan to use left overs on my lunch time salad tomorrow.
4 boys (ages 1 - 7) - Success!  They all liked it and gave me a thumbs up on the new recipe.

I will definitely be making this one again!


No comments:

Post a Comment