Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Sunday Dinner Roast with Vegetables


This is my very first roast in the slow cooker! I have done roasts in the oven before, but no one ever showed me what to do with the slow cooker version. I guess I just pushed it off as I do other new things unless someone shows me how to do it first. Well, no one showed me this time and since I found this simple recipe in my cookbook, I decided to take a chance.

Original Recipe:
Slow-Cooker Cookbook by Debbie G. Harman

1 lb baby carrots
1 onion, chopped
8 potatoes, peeled and chopped
Salt & Pepper
3-4 lb boneless beef roast
2 tsp beef bouillon

Place vegetables in slow-cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pout 1/2 cup water around sides. Place roast on vegetables. Rub bouillon on roast. Cook on high 4-5 hours or low 7-8 hours. Remove roast. Allow to cool 10 minutes. Slice roast. Serve with vegetables.

My Changes:

Carrots - didn't have baby carrots, so I chopped up about one pound of regular peeled carrots
Onion - only used 1/2 of one medium onion
Bouillon - I only had the cubed bouillon, so I chopped two up small and rubbed that around

Opinion:

Good. Husband and I both agreed that there needed to be some more flavor rubbed into the meat, possibly some pepper. Husband thinks I should have just browned the outside of the meat before putting it in the slow-cooker. That's what I usually do when I cook it in the oven because it helps hold in the flavor to the meat. Also, be careful not to do too many potatoes - they really do need to be UNDER the roast. If you have a few lingering on the sides around the roast, then they won't be within the juices at the bottom of the pot and they will be a little tougher and have a slight gray tint to them from sitting in the "air" too long before cooking.

I will probably try this one again with my few needed changes because it was simple.

Weight Watchers points plus value - just depends on how much you eat of each item. You will need to count the roast, carrots and potatoes separately for your portion sizes.

1 comment:

  1. we were planning on having this next Sunday. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete